History of the suburbs we sell
Dianella was named after the botanical title of a small blue lily, Dianella revoluta, which is a narrow-leafed plant which was plentiful in the area prior to residential development.
Early development of the area was slow, as the sandy soil, part of the Banksia sand plain, was considered unsuitable for agriculture. Much of Dianella was subdivided in the 1880s by the Intercolonial Investment Company of Sydney, but growth was still slow and by 1919, the only development was along Walter Road, a track leading to dairy farms in the Morley area. Dianella comprised localities known as North Inglewood, East Yokine, Morley Park and Bedford Park. They were amalgamated into Dianella in 1958, which generated some growth.
Development progressed during the 1960s and housing construction first occurred north from Walter Road and Grand Promenade, with St Andrews, Montclair Rise and Dress Circle Estates being the last major areas to be developed in the early 2000s. The character of housing ranges from modest post-war homes to large, modern two storey dwellings.
Dianella was Perth and Western Australia's media centre; with three of Perth's major commercial television stations based there until Channel 7 relocated to Osborne Park in 2015. Channel 9 and Channel 10 also left the suburb in 2016 and are now relocated to St Georges Terrace and Subiaco, respectively.
There are a number of small parks in Dianella and a large regional open space. Vicinity Centres Dianella is the major shopping centre in the suburb, with several smaller local stores. Education is provided by a number of primary schools as well as high schools in Mirrabooka and Morley.
Dianella Regional Open Space is at the junction of Alexander Drive and Morley Drive and provides a landscape feature for the suburb as well as sporting facilities. The area is home to a number of sporting codes, including lacrosse, football, little athletics, soccer and cricket as well as many more indoor sports.
Dianella lies at the heart of Perth's small Jewish community. Although this is the third largest Jewish community in Australia, numbers have never reached more than 6000 members (the most recent Australian census put Western Australia's entire Jewish community at 5,300 members). Dianella itself is home to a number of community institutions such as a Jewish day school (Carmel), a sports club, an Aged Home (Maurice Zeffert Home) and a small Synagogue known as "Dianella Shul". A number of streets in the region are named after Jewish icons such as Menora, Maccabean and Golda Meir. Despite a small but steady stream of Jewish immigration from South Africa and China, specifically Kaifeng, the community in Dianella and surrounding suburbs is shrinking as many young people leave Perth, mainly heading to the larger Australian Jewish communities in Melbourne and Sydney.
Dianella is also part of Perth's small Greek community, the second biggest hub for the Greek Orthodox Community in Perth, the biggest being in the centre of Northbridge. During the early 1990s, the Greek community of Perth wanted a Greek Orthodox College so that children of Greek origin can learn the Greek language and to be engaged in the Greek culture, while going to school. Today, there is a Greek day school (St Andrews Grammar) which is located in the St Andrews Land Estate and a small Greek Orthodox Church (Agios Nectarios) located in the northern sector of the suburb just next to the Dress Circle Land Estate. Next to the Greek Orthodox College there is a Greek retirement home (Hellenic Community Aged Care). Some streets in the northern sector of the suburb have names of Greek origin such as Hellenic Drive in the St Andrews Land Estate.
Guildford is one of three towns established in 1829, when Western Australia was settled, and its plan was based on the model of an English country town. The area is enclosed on a peninsular, formed by the Swan and Helena Rivers and was named by Captain James Stirling after his father-in-law's lectorate in Surrey, England.
As the furthest navigable point on the Swan River, Guildford became an inland port, providing the main link between Perth and the country districts. In 1851 it became a convict ticket-of-leave hiring depot and steamboats made their debut in 1857. Guildford became a thriving market town and commercial centre. The town was declared a municipality in 1871 and granted its own crest of anchor, sheaf and grapes.
Guildford's status changed dramatically with the establishment of the railways in the 1880s. River transport declined rapidly and with the rise of Midland Junction in the 1890s, Guildford's commercial importance eroded.
Many of the stately Sugar Gum trees that still line the streets of Guildford were planted in the late 1890s, in part as a celebration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1897.
During World War 1 the remount depot in South Guildford was used by the WA contingent of the 10th Light Horse regiment , whilst in World War 11 Guildford Grammar School was requisitioned by the American troops as the 5th Station Military Hospital.
The first commercial flights began from the newly developed Guildford Airport in South Guildford in 1944. In 1960 the Guildford Council merged with the Swan Road Board to form the Swan-Guildford Shire and then in turn that body merged with the Town of Midland to form the Shire of Swan in 1970.
Guildford was declared a Historic Town in 1984 and four heritage trails run through its streets and parks. Its historical buildings, rich heritage and proximity to the Swan Valley, continue to charm the thousands of tourists who visit the area each year.
The Morley area was in the early days of the Swan River Colony developed with agriculture. The area was originally known as Morley Park. In 1929 a landowner progress association petitioned the Bayswater Road Board for improved roads and lighting for improved transport of produce to markets.
Commercial icons appeared in the late 1950s and early 1960s, including the Wirrina Drive In, the Morley Park Hotel and the Boans department store. Parallel with the commercial growth, a settlement program resulted in the residential development of Morley. This was achieved through a series of town planning schemes undertaken by Margaret Feilman, the consultant town planner to the Shire of Bayswater. These schemes especially catered to the needs of the home building companies whose style of large scale development was a new phenomenon of the 1960s.
Tonkin Highway was constructed through Morley in 1984, bisecting the suburb in two.
In 2015 the City of Bayswater adopted an activity centre plan for the improvement of the Morley commercial precinct. It aims to build upon the strengths already present in the City Centre and promote an improved street interface with the Galleria Shopping Centre; Progress Street as the Centre's Main Street; and an enhanced Morley bus station with improved efficiency and convenience. The activity centre plan's vision is:
One of the earliest areas of Perth to be settled, Bassendean has a rich and interesting history, encompassing pre-1829 Aboriginal settlement, the arrival of the first Europeans in 1827, gentleman farmers, convicts and Pensioner Guards.
It grew rapidly during the goldrush years of the 1890’s and 1900’s and from the early 1900’s, the suburb’s working class character was largely developed because of its attraction as a residential area for the labour force of the Midland Railway Workshops. This trend was reinforced with the establishment in the 1920’s of large, industrial businesses like Hadfields and Cuming Smith.
Post-World War II emigration saw an influx of a mix of European nationalities, giving Bassendean its cosmopolitan flavour.
Aboriginal people of the Noongar language group originally inhabited the Bayswater area, the occupants of the north bank of the Swan being among Yellagonga’s people, who ranged systematically over a wide area of the coastal plain. The population was rich and complex in culture, sparse in number and nomadic in habit. Its movements were governed by the seasonal availability of food. The Aborigines were hunters and gatherers, who regularly burnt the bush to assist them in both pursuits. They concentrated their activities in the most fertile areas, including the peninsula in nearby Maylands. A large Aboriginal base camp, at least 4,500 years old lies under the Tonkin Highway, just to the north of Guildford Road.
When Europeans founded the Swan River Colony in 1829, the Swan River was a big focus, and land along the river was divided into narrow strips called ribbon grants, but most of the area remained undeveloped until the 20th century because the land was very poor quality and waterlogged. The only obvious sign of colonisation in the area was a track that goes between Perth and Guildford, which will become the present day Guildford Road.
In 1881, the Fremantle-Guildford railway line was built, which passed through Bayswater, which triggered significant development. The original ribbon grants began to be subdivided. The first section to be developed was called Bayswater Estate, and was the land between Drake and Lawrence Streets.
When gold was discovered in the colony, in the present day Goldfields-Esperance region, many people from eastern Australia and overseas came to the Swan River Colony, and eventually settled in Bayswater. Yet still, Bayswater was semi-rural, with people buying land for garden and farming homes.
The opening of the Midland Railway Workshops down the railway line in 1904 brought workers from the eastern states and overseas, Britain in particular, fuelled lots of growth, and more permanent building were constructed. Many still stand, such as Ellis House, Halliday House, and some commercial buildings along King William Street in the town centre. Bayswater School, which was founded in 1894, was expanded in 1900, 1906, 1910 and 1914 to service the rapidly expanding population.
In 1933, Bayswater introduced a town planning scheme, re-enforcing the developing industrial area in the east, and setting aside land for future residential areas. In 1935, the first Garratt Road Bridge was built across the Swan River, providing a link from Bayswater to Ascot. During World War 2, Bayswater became a place for signalling operations, and many homes were taken over for that.
After World War 2, there was lots of growth. There was lots of demand for another school in the area, so buildings from East Fremantle were transported to a new site at Hillcrest.